House Renovations: Part II-B – Master Bathroom09 Apr 2010, Posted by House Renovations in
For whatever reason, the master bathroom renovation turned out to be one of my favorite rooms. I think it was the fact that we were able to easily and cost-effectively transform a 25 sqft space into something that worked for us.
This was the room that was the big deal breaker for me. I did not want to purchase this house for two reasons: the kitchen and the master bathroom. I wanted a bathtub and not a shower and I have a true aversion to paneling. Because my husband loved the yard, trees and location, I caved but with the understanding that I would get a house with which I could be happy. Of course, I had visions of an addition with a soaking tub, walk-in closet and vanity to die for, but I settled for a modest redo of the space we had since we really didn’t have the money for whiz-bang additions.
So, I started the project by keeping the paneling, but jazzing it up a bit by filling in the lines, priming it and coating it with a layer of Venetian Plaster to make it look like drywall without having to rip everything out. Of course, when we removed the cabinets, there was thick drywall there. This caused a bit of an issue, since we were going to have more wall exposed once we had the new cabinet installed. We decided to try to even the wall out, by removing the piece of drywall that was showing and replacing it with a piece of extra paneling we had from the kitchen. It wasn’t perfect, but it seemed to work.
We also removed the existing vanity and linoleum flooring. We temporarily removed the commode and placed it in the family room – lovely! The commode was fairly new, low flow and worked well, so we placed it back after the floors were completed.
We upgraded to marble flooring in this small space and I’m glad we did. I think it turned out very well and it didn’t cost much more than regular tile. I thought it would be much harder to cut, but it proved to work just fine with the tile saw as long as I moved the tile through very slowly. We were able to complete the floor in this room in about a half a day. Of course, we still had to grout it, but that proved to be fairly easy too.
Luckily, this 60s ranch did not have pink, green or aqua tile in the bathrooms! We were blessed with a nice low-key white tile, but the grout (what there was of it) was in pretty sad shape. I decided to take on the task of re-grouting the shower. I will NEVER DO THIS AGAIN! It was a huge pain and took much longer than I had anticipated but the results speak for themselves, so I am glad I did it – once.
We finished the bathroom off with baseboards, a new special order vanity and medicine cabinet, updated plumbing and drainage for the sink, a new light fixture, and Ikea wall cabinets for extra storage. I threw in a basket hamper and a few plants and there you have it. A bathroom redo for well under $1000! I may not have gotten my soaking tub, but at least I don’t have to worry about finding money to eat!